Focus: Community and Education.
FairMail is a company producing fair trade greeting cards with photos made in Peru, India (and in 2013 also Morocco).
The photos on FairMail cards are taken by Indian and Peruvian underprivileged teenagers. On the back of every card you see the face, name and age of the photographer. FairMail offers this youth photography training, part-time work, medical insurance and guidance in making their future plans. The teenagers get 50% of the profits of the sale of their own photos to finance their housing and education.
FairMail’s mission is:
1) To offer opportunities for a better future to underprivileged teenagers, which they THEMSELVES create; by developing their creativity (through photography) and their self-esteem (through job experience, new skills and having their own product) so that they can choose their future paths more consciously. With the money they earn in FairMail they can finance the education they need to realize these futures.
2) To bring a beautiful and unique product on the market. The FairMail photo card creates an income for Peruvian/Indian underprivileged teenagers who actively create this product themselves. This aspect is innovative because in the current supply of cards with ¨Third World¨ images all photos are made by western professionals. he message we send with FairMail is: let the country that provides us with beautiful images benefit from the incomes created!
3) To stimulate awareness about using local beauty to create local incomes, about seeing life through the eyes of teenagers and about fair-trade.
FairMail was founded in 2006 in Peru by the Dutch sociologist and entrepreneur Janneke Smeulders. In 2007 Janneke's partner Peter den Hond joined her in the company and since 2008 they run the Dutch FairMail office in Amsterdam together. In India the daily management of FairMail lies in the hands of local manager Akshay Kumar and assistant manager Dhiraj Kannaujiya. In Peru this task is fulfilled by Renato Cerqueira Nuñez, helped by assistant manager Cinthia Vega Inga (who is a former FairMail photographer).
Costs & Benefits
FairMail has the following volunteer vacancies in Peru, India and Morocco, all with a minimum period of 8 weeks and around 25 hours a week:
(Vacancy A and B are most wanted):
a) Photography & Creativity trainer for the 10 Peruvian, Indian or Moroccan teenagers.
b) Trainer for social abilities- and personal development workshops for the teenagers.
c) Marketing trainer (teach the teenagers about working demand driven).
d) Marketing assistant to research and prepare FairMail for markets in Peru, India, Europe, USA and Canada.
e) Graphic designer to develop new products.
For all vacancies it’s important that you speak Spanish (for Peru) or English and some Hindi (for in India). Experience in mentioned fields is preferred.
The activities are, dependent on the vacancy and your abilities:
- Preparing and giving photography, creativity, social abilities and/or marketing trainings to Peruvian or Indian teenagers.
- Assisting in the PRand Marketing of FairMail (to find more distribution channels in Peru, India, Europe, USA and Canada)
- assisting in product development (graphic designing)
In Peru: Trujillo, La Libertad, (northern) Peru. Nearby Trujillo - where the FairMail office is- is its coastal village Huanchaco where it is very nice to live a sunny (surf &) beach life.
In India: Nagwa, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India.
FairMail does not ask for a participation or donations fee but volunteers have to pay for their own costs. We can help in your search for cheap housing and in India we can offer a volunteer room for 85 Euros a month (2,5 Euros a day), this includes internet, gas, electricity and water filter but Not includes food. In Peru housing and food costs about 10 Euros a day. In Morocco we are just starting up so we have no details yet about housing.
Spanish speaking (advanced) and for India English speaking and for Morocco French.
Flexible and open-minded
Interest and some experience with working with teenagers (13-18 years old)
Able to work independently and structured
Creative and flexible in organizing activities
Minimum commitment of 8 weeks
That you will send us the necessary information we ask for on our site (personal motivation, task of preference, expectations, Your Resume, availability)
FairMail Peru, FairMail India, FairMail Morocco
(only virtual office)
Urb. San Eloy
Trujillo, La Libertad
N1/59 A-22 shivpury collony, Lanka, Varanasi
Location:Peru, India, Morocco
Average cost per day: 10 Euro
Focus: Community and Education
Skills needed: Spanish speaking (advanced) and for India English speaking and for Morocco French, Minimum commitment of 8 weeks, Over 18 years old.