Sustainable Rural Community Development Organisation (SURCOD)
Focus: Finance and Community.
Sustainable Rural Community Development Organisation (SURCOD) with financial support from Volkart Vision Foundation is implementing a 3 year women empowerment pilot project in Chididi called Chididi Women Group Savings and Capital Building.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
The project is designed to achieve the following objectives:
- To reduce poverty that is very common amongst Chididi women due to much dependency upon men for their income.
- To build the capacity of poor women in capital building skills, production skills and entrepreneurship.
- To diversify family income through the combination of capital building skills, production skills, entrepreneurship skills and farming as a poverty reduction strategy.
- To reduce gender based violence which is caused due to much dependency on men as their main source of income.
- To encourage sharing of ideas between women as they will be engaged in group business.
- To promote family planning since the time spent with men will be reduced.
- To train 300 women in business management and various production technologies.
ACTIVITIES IMPLEMENTED DURING THE PROJECT
- Formation of saving groups
- Training of Business groups in savings
- Counselling the women in business management
- Livelihood assessment and linking them to various communities
- Mobilising the community in development activities
- Training the communities on human rights and gender
Costs & Benefits
Volunteers at Sustainable Rural Community Development Organisation (SURCOD) will aid us to:
Take part in mobilization for saving groups formulation
Supervision and monitoring of women savings groups
Training the groups in Village Savings and Loan association approach
Provision of technical skills to the women groups in terms of saving, capital building and group loan management
Initiating the better skills of making savings a funny in with the women groups
Mobilizing for various development with the community
Developing sub-projects in the saving groups which can enhance savings in the groups
Developing proposal which will assist in linking the saving groups with potential funders
Program Fees depend on commitment, total cost of housing, food and accommodation are $450/month.
The volunteer should be 18 years and above, who is willing to work in the rural areas of Africa.
Volunteers should also be prepared to fundraise for sustainable rural community development after volunteering.
Preferably volunteers who are preparing to study international development or similar or have already graduated or still studying and are willing to pursue their research in Africa.
SUSTAINABLE RURAL COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ORGANISATION (SURCOD)
P. O. BOX 45, CHIDIDI, NSANJE
Location: NSANJE, MALAWI
Average cost per day: $20
Focus: Finance and Community
Skills needed: Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, studying or graduate in international development or similar